Thursday, January 21, 2016

Happy Homeschool Anniversary.


Does it ever feel like your journey has taken quite awhile longer than it really has? Have you ever just met someone and felt like you have known them for years? Life is so extraordinary and amazing like that. Yesterday marked our second year of homeschooling. When I think about it more it really is surprising to me. Just two years? We are homeschooling babies!




We have been through so many changes since the beginning of our homeschool journey. I started out stressing like a mad woman. Every day worried that I was going to ruin my kids. My mind completely warped by the expectation of the public school mind set. It still gets me sometimes. Its hard to drop it completely. I myself was not homeschooled. I am not saying public school is awful. Some probably are. There are some great schools in my area. Each family has their own reasons and what works for them.

I have learned a lot about my kids these past two years. I even have gained knowledge I lost. Its amazing what and how much kids will learn when given the choice to learn what interests them. Give them the reins and let them go. Yes it is hard to really do that until they start reading on their own. My oldest was already there before we started homeschooling.

I have tried a thousand different ways to teach them and cried a lot of tears. When all along I was the big problem. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have a lot less wrinkles! Learning at home is simpler than some think. We make it hard or easy. What makes it challenging is learning while living a family life. It isn't just school t home. It is LIFE. Have you never heard of someone learning to read on their own. What do you think people did before schools? Yes some didn't know how to read but if they wanted to they learned and they gained a lot of life experience compared to kids today. I am talking responsibility, farming, team work, money skills, business skills, sewing, cooking....the list goes on.

Some little things I would have loved to have heard when I first started this long journey:

**Take a couple months off and do whatever you want. Read a lot, go to the library; take a few trips.

** Figure out what they are interested in.

** Know their learning styles. This is a huge one! We all are NOT the same.

** Try not to get mad. I wasn't the only one dealing with change. Think about how they feel too.

** Have conversations. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for. Talk about what you love and what interests you. This will get them talking.

** Listen. Really listen.And actually think about what they are saying to you. Are they struggling; do they need you to confirm them?

** Instead of fighting their interests...support them. "I want to be a super hero when I grow up!" Yes support that! Let them be a super hero. We need more of those!




Well that is all I have for now. There are probably a few more I haven't learned yet. I am far from an expert and I know I have many years left of this. I just hope I can help others while helping myself. Do you have fears of homeschooling? Do you feel lost? Join my Facebook group  Homeschool info,. advice and tips and follow for advice, free homeschool resources and support. I hope to see you there! Have a fantastic night!