Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Homemade Play Dough

Hello everyone! What a beautiful day it is....from my window that is :) I enjoy the nice bright sunlight but I do not enjoy this humidity. It literally makes me choke. I use to love summer as a kid but the older I get the less I like it lol. The kids and I have been going outside as early as possible before it becomes unbearable. About 30 minutes of being out they are begging to go in, unfortunately. And No, we do not have a pool or anything yet. We do have some fun trips planned to stay cool though.


In the meantime, some indoor fun to share. I know that this one has been used over and over and many have shared it tons of times. BUT, it is SO easy and FUN. Most importantly it keeps the kids busy for hours! I won't keep rambling and I will just get straight to it. Below are the things you will need.


  • A large mixing bowl
  • Large spoon
  • 2 1/2 Cups Flour
  • 1- 1 1/2 Cups of salt
  • 1 1/2 Cups water
  • Food Coloring
  • Plastic gloves
Grab your bowl and spoon. Pour in the flour and then the salt. Mix those up first. My little guy lent two cute helping hands :)


 Once those two simple ingredients are mixed, slowly add water. You may decide to put less or more at this point.

 When you have it all mixed to your desired consistency...flour the counter top lightly and plop the dough down and start kneading it. As soon as that step is finished, divide the dough in 4-5 medium dough balls. 

Once those are ready you just poke some holes in each one and drop in the food coloring of your choice.
Last step: at this point you may want the gloves because the food coloring does stain a but. Very carefully mash and fold the food coloring into the dough. If you want a brighter or darker color just add more. IF you don't have food coloring on hand, you can use Koolaid or nothing at all. I have made this without it before and they still had fun with it.

So here are the end results!
The rugrats played for about 2 hours and I was able to catch up on chores and me time :)! I hope you enjoyed today's post and if you try please come by and share your fun results here or on my Facebook group Homeschool info., advice and tips.