Saturday, May 23, 2015

Mommy and the Caterpillar.

This week the kiddos and I did a few projects. They think it was just for fun, hehe. I had them having so much fun they never realized they were learning. That is how it has to be done around here most days! One small art project I did for my 7, 5 and 3 year old was an egg carton caterpillar.

They love butterflies! Especially my youngest boy. He will chase them for several minutes around the yard trying to catch them Lol. Of course he gets upset when they flutter too far away. Bless his baby boy heart!

Anyway, back to the project. It was, of course inspired by the story The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Now who doesn't just love this book? It holds many memories for me as a child and I am sure many others as well. Check out Amazon for the book. It is on sale right now. So snag it while you can! You are welcome Amazon! 
The first thing I did was go to the library to borrow this cute book. The kids thought I was nuts for being so excited to read it to them. I love sharing my childhood with them. So I decided to turn it into a craft. I gathered the supplies next. I tend to save a lot of junk, so it made it easy to start :) 

Here is a list:
-Cardboard egg cartons
-Cotton balls
-Bendy straws or pipe cleaners
-Green and brown acrylic paint
-Clear nail polish
-Green glitter
-Elmer's glue



This could work better with the Styrofoam egg cartons but this is what I had. I cut them out to make four separate caterpillar bodies. I had them paint them all up with this green acrylic paint and added the brown paint at the bottom edges. You could paint little feet if you want. My kids just decided to paint "dirt" ha ha.
 Once the paint dried I made the wholes for the caterpillar feelers. What ever end you want the head and face to be. If you are using bendy straws, cut them close to the bendy part and then slip it underneath the carton through the wholes. I would have used the pipe cleaner if I had it on hand.


Next, they used the clear nail polish by lightly painting over the green paint and then added the messy green glitter. I realize that caterpillars aren't sparkly but who doesn't love glitter fun!? Once it is all dry again you can draw his face on with a sharpie or get more creative and use other crafty things.


The last step is to use the cotton balls. Apply the Elmer's glue to the top of the caterpillar, pull apart some cotton and form it and apply it to the glue. My little boy did get a bit frustrated with this part. If you have a toddler, he/she may need your guidance on this part.


It was a pretty easy but fun little project to do. It was a last minute thing also. I am not great at planning things each week. We do things on a whim. No shame in that lol. I believe it makes life a bit more interesting, surprising and fun. I will leave planning for the rest of you! :)

The Very Hungry Caterpillar 

So here is the final "product" of our cute little guy. Not the best pic. It is so much cuter in person. After we read the story and did our project we talked about why Mr. Caterpillar needed to eat and how cool it was that he built himself a home and became a beautiful butterfly. Such as life, we all are born, we grow and change. I believe this was a good little lesson for my little baby caterpillars who are becoming amazingly smart little butterflies!


I hope you enjoyed my post today. If you decide to do this with your little ones let me know how it turned out. I would love to hear from you. Have a great weekend!